Beamdog, the company behind the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Editions, is looking for a 3D VFX Artist to join our fast growing team!
Reporting to the Art Director/Lead Artist, the VFX Artist will help us build amazing visual effects for our upcoming titles. They will collaborate with the Project Leads and the art team to help drive the vision and aesthetic forwards.
- Create stunning real-time visual effects like spells, creature attacks, explosions, and more using a mastery of high-quality particle effects, textures, and shaders.
- Collaborate with the Art Director / Leads to ensure a consistent visual style and quality level across all the various types of game FX assets.
- Ensure that all effects are built efficiently and optimized for performance in game.
- Support both internal and external teams through communication and creation of clear documentation, briefs, and requirements.
- Collaborate with team members to share knowledge and solve cross-discipline problems.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in game development as a Visual Effects artist creating exceptional visual effects assets for games.
- Bachelor of art degree or equivalent industry experience and training.
- Strong sense of lighting, color, form and motion and able to use that knowledge when crafting real-time visual effects.
- Experience with Python scripting or equivalent.
- Find creative and effective solutions to eliminate difficult problems in production and as needed.
- Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into the UE4 engine.
- Experience with particle systems using Unreal Cascade or Niagara.
- Strong proficiency in technical problem solving.
- Self-motivated and possesses the ability to collaborate effectively within a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Houdini as it relates to real time VFX creation.
- Proficient in After Effects.
- Have shipped at least one AAA PC or console title as a VFX artist.
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence, Perforce, and other project management tools.
- Cover Letter is required.
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required.
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, sketchfab, blog or online album).
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested.
Beamdog is a fantastic place to work with a friendly and creative atmosphere. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, we're a hardworking team of passionate game developers who love the games we work on. Since 2009, we’ve brought enhanced versions of classic Dungeons & Dragons games and exciting original content to fans new and old. We’re best known for bringing beloved isometric roleplaying games like Baldur’s Gate™ and Planescape: Torment™ back to life on desktop and tablets as Enhanced Editions. We love rich stories where players can chose their own journey and the communities that spring up around them. If you’re excited about storytelling games, Dungeons & Dragons, and classic RPGs, stick around! You haven’t seen anything yet.
We offer the following perks:
- Vision, dental, and health benefits, plus extended healthcare coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Generous time off for vacation, sick days, and personal days
- Transit passes & heated underground parking
- Fully-paid gym memberships
- Lunch and Learns
- Flexible working hours
- Casual dress code
Diversity is fundamentally about valuing human differences and recognizing that a diverse group of people bring with them a diverse set of skills which is necessary to propel our company forward. Beamdog is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.