Reporting to the Art Director/Lead Artist, the 3D Environment Artist will help us build amazing environments and props for our upcoming titles. They will collaborate with the Project Leads and the design & art teams to help drive the vision and aesthetic forwards.
- Work with the level design team creating 3D models for use in creation of game environments, as well as complete environments and set pieces from initial block-out to final polish.
- Support efficient and collaborative prototype efforts with the design team and project leads.
- Create engaging and exciting environments and props with strong visual composition and interesting gameplay space.
- Work with the art Leads and art team to ensure artistic unity across the entire project.
- Collaborate with the design team to make gameplay and levels function harmoniously.
- Excel at maintaining consistent aesthetic and technical quality in all environments.
- Create content that aligns and maintains consistency with the visual direction for the game.
- Ensure all content meets the highest quality bar and the performance requirements of the game engine.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in game development as an artist creating environment assets for games using Maya (or equivalent), Photoshop, Zbrush, and Substance Designer.
- Strong understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines in engines like UE4, Unity or equivalent.
- Demonstrated proficiency in organic and hard surface modeling techniques with a focus on stylized content.
- Possess a good technical background with ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly to support environment art creation.
- Excellent understanding of light, shade, color, and detail when creating game textures and materials.
- Self-motivation, superior communication skills, and a great team-player attitude.
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group.
- Proven ability with problem-solving / prototyping on a game team.
- Able to effectively collaborate with artists, game designers, and programmers.
- Strong knowledge and competency with Maya (or similar 3D package), Zbrush, Photoshop, Substance Designer.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, animation, visual effects, or technical art.
- Experience with Substance Painter and Substance Designer.
- Have shipped at least one AAA PC or console title as a 3D environment artist.
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence, Perforce, and other project management tools.
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required.
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, sketchfab, blog or online album).
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested.
Beamdog is a fantastic place to work with a friendly and creative atmosphere. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, we're a hardworking team of passionate game developers who love the games we work on. Since 2009, we’ve brought enhanced versions of classic Dungeons & Dragons games and exciting original content to fans new and old. We’re best known for bringing beloved isometric roleplaying games like Baldur’s Gate™ and Planescape: Torment™ back to life on desktop and tablets as Enhanced Editions. We love rich stories where players can chose their own journey and the communities that spring up around them. If you’re excited about storytelling games, Dungeons & Dragons, and classic RPGs, stick around! You haven’t seen anything yet.
We offer the following perks:
- Vision, dental, and health benefits, plus extended healthcare coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Generous time off for vacation, sick days, and personal days
- Transit passes & heated underground parking
- Fully-paid gym memberships
- Lunch and Learns
- Flexible working hours
- Casual dress code
Diversity is fundamentally about valuing human differences and recognizing that a diverse group of people bring with them a diverse set of skills which is necessary to propel our company forward. Beamdog is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.